In the world of web hosting and server infrastructure, CloudLinux OS has become a popular operating system. It is designed specifically to improve the stability and security of virtual servers and provides a powerful set of tools for optimization and resource management.
What is CloudLinux?
CloudLinux is a specialized operating system, a commercial version of Linux, designed for virtual and cloud environments as well as shared hosting servers. The main goal of the OS is to manage and optimize server resources, improve security and stability, and provide tools to share resources between different hosting accounts.
CloudLinux core features:
- Isolate server hardware resources using Lightweight Virtual Environment (LVE) technology for each account.
- Isolate each account’s file system using CageFS technology.
- Manage resources for each account by enforcing CPU, memory, IO, IOPS limits and restrictions.
- Providing protection against attacks and hacks.
- Account management, including installing CMS (content management systems), creating mailboxes, managing databases and other server settings.
- Compatible with most standard web servers and hosting control panels.
Using CloudLinux increases server stability, improves security, optimizes and securely shares resources between hosting clients. This makes the OS attractive to web providers and users who want to ensure the reliability and security of their projects.
Let’s take a closer look at what opportunities CloudLinux provides for users, what technologies are used for this purpose.
LVE (Lightweight Virtual Environment) technology is designed to manage resources and isolate accounts on the server. It helps achieve a balance between multiple accounts on a single server, preventing overload and ensuring stable performance for all users.
The main purpose of LVE is to isolate resources, such as CPU processing power, memory, and bandwidth, for each account. Each account has its own resource usage limit, and its actions cannot negatively affect the performance of other hosting accounts or overload the server.
LVE also allows you to prioritize resources for different accounts. The web provider can assign a higher priority to important accounts, giving them the ability to get more resources when needed. The technology also protects against the “neighbor effect,” where one account overloads the server and affects the work of other users.
Lightweight Virtual Environment technology is a powerful tool for providing reliable and stable virtual servers and cloud environments. It guarantees a high level of performance and safety for customers.
It is a file system virtualization system that isolates each hosting account from others. The technology creates virtual “cages” around each account, isolating files and directories so that clients cannot see or interact with other users’ files. This enhances safety.
CageFS Technology Capabilities:
- isolation of files and directories;
- improving server security;
- preventing server overload by isolating scripts and applications;
- Restrict access to sensitive data or system files;
- account management by configuring access and isolating files and directories;
- support for various hosting control panels.
Isolating files and directories using CageFS is an important part of ensuring server security and stability, especially in a hosting environment where multiple accounts are hosted on a single server.
Resource monitoring and management system
CloudLinux provides a resource monitoring and management system that allows server administrators to monitor resource utilization on the server and customize settings for each hosting account. It is an important tool for optimizing server performance, preventing overloads. The monitoring system is compatible with many hosting control panels (cPanel, Plesk, H-Sphere, ISP Manager and others).
The monitoring system continuously monitors the utilization of server hardware resources and sends alerts and warnings when the set limits are exceeded. With it, administrators can see which accounts are using more resources and react to load changes, set limits, and can temporarily limit resources in critical situations to prevent performance degradation for other users.
CloudLinux provides enhanced network protection on servers and virtual servers against various threats and attacks. Read more about security measures:
- A Firewall monitors and limits network traffic to block unwanted connections and requests, and to prevent attempts to attack the server.
- Continuous monitoring of network activity helps detect anomalies and stop unauthorized attempts to access or attack the server.
- The firewall system blocks network attacks and abnormal traffic, prevents the spread of malicious programs.
- The DDoS protection feature includes tools to detect and limit cyberattacks so that the server remains available to legitimate users.
- Attack and vulnerability monitoring helps you track real-time activity and respond to threats.
- Protects against attacks on applications and websites hosted on the server.
- Regular updates to help protect the server from acute threats.
- The level of access and permissions for each account limits the ability of attackers and prevents unauthorized access.
CloudLinux provides a comprehensive set of tools and security measures to ensure resilience to various network security threats.
Benefits of CloudLinux
Let’s take a look at the benefits CloudLinux provides for hosting providers and website owners.
Increased server stability
Resource isolation and management avoids situations where one account can negatively impact the performance of other accounts.
The use of CageFS and security measures reduce the risk of data and server compromise, which is important to protect customer information.
The benefits of CloudLinux help to optimize server resource utilization, allowing web providers to scale their services.
Different versions of PHP
With CloudLinux OS, you can install the desired PHP version for each account and not worry about compatibility.
CloudLinux hardware requirements
CloudLinux typically requires resources similar to other versions of Linux. It is recommended that you have the following minimum server specifications:
- processor with a frequency of 1 GHz or more;
- RAM (RAM) of 1 GB or more;
- At least 20 GB of disk space for installing the operating system and applications.
If a server has specifications higher than the recommended specifications, its performance will be better.
Cost of CloudLinux OS
The cost depends on the needs and size of the hosting provider’s customer base, the number of servers and accounts on which the OS will be installed. It is better to check the exact prices with the official supplier.
CloudLinux OS provides powerful tools to manage and optimize server resources, improve security and stability. This makes the OS an attractive solution for hosting providers and their customers.