Cyrillic domains: pros, cons and pitfalls
- Can I use Cyrillic domains?
- The advantages of using Cyrillic domains.
- Disadvantages of Cyrillic domains.
- Using Punycode.
- How to transfer a domain to Punycode.
Most of the sites registered under domain names written in Latin characters. Until recently, this was the only option accepted worldwide. However, about 10 years ago it became possible to register Cyrillic domain – site name written in Cyrillic. The popularity of such solutions is increasing every year, but should we move away from common standards? In this article we will consider what the advantages of using such domain names, what troubles are at risk and how to deal with them.
Can I use Cyrillic domains?
In most cases, such solutions are resorted to for the convenience of the target audience. After all, it’s much easier for people who don’t speak English to type in address in the address bar of of your browser “chamomile.uk” than “chamomile.ua”. An additional plus – no need to switch the keyboard layout. As a result. users get faster access to the resource, which increases loyalty.
In the search engine results sites written in Cyrillic look like this:
The advantages of using Cyrillic domains
- Easy to remember, which is important when launching offline advertising campaigns: on television, radio, billboards, etc.
- Convenience for users of Russian-speaking Internet users.
- Lots of free domains. Finding a usable Latin name is not easy because of the huge number of registered sites. Cyrillic in this regard is not yet so common, so it is easier to pick up a unique domain name.
- In the name of the site, written in Russian letters, you can write a keyword. Many SEO experts consider this a plus when promotion.
Disadvantages of Cyrillic domains
Cyrillic domains problems:
- Encoding. In order for the domain name to comply with Unicode standards, which supports only letters of the Latin alphabet, numbers and hyphens, decoding is required. To this end, the method of PunycodeWe’ll tell you more about it next.
- Not every hosting supports Cyrillic domains – problems You may also encounter problems when searching for a provider.
- Suitable only for the Russian-speaking audience. Users from other countries are more accustomed to the Latin alphabet. If your project enters the international market with a name in Cyrillic, it is likely to lose to competitors who use the letters of the English alphabet.
- There may be difficulties with promotion. Cyrillic domains and SEO – is still a controversial topic. For example, one of the ways to attract users is to register the site in catalogs. But some services either support domains in Latin characters only, or display converted variants of the Cyrillic name. The promotion of links also has its own nuances. Anchor (link “hidden” in the word) does not cause questions, but with bezankornyh (link is inserted in the usual form) is not so simple, because they are displayed in the converted form, which is not visually appealing.
Punycode is a method of converting Cyrillic domain into a character set that conforms to Unicode standards and is required to display the site correctly. What does it look like? You’ve probably noticed that when copying addresses In Cyrillic instead of beautiful “site.ukr” you get an incomprehensible set of characters like “xn-80rlfmilkjrud.xn--j1amd”. That’s how search engine crawlers see it and, by the way, don’t consider it in a human-readable URL. Convert a regular domain in Russian in Latin letters and numbers is needed, so that all browsers and search engines can understand the link and did not give out a 404 error. Another common reason is filling out the robots.txt file. It can only use letters of the English alphabet, numbers and hyphens. If your sites have Cyrillic domains, conversion will become a necessity.
How to transfer a domain to Punycode
There are many services for online domain name conversion. They are easy enough to use – enter the name of the site in Cyrillic in the field and click “Translate”. In the new line, you will see the Latin script, which you can copy and paste wherever you want.
As an example, take the well-known multifunctional service 2ip.ru. As implemented here conversion:
Almost all modern browsers have Punycode built in. You can take advantage of this so you don’t have to look for a converter in the Google or Yandex. Enter the name of the site in Cyrillic in the search box, copy and paste it, for example, in a text document. You will get a link already converted by to the standard Unicode.
Cyrillic domains are gaining popularity in the Russian-speaking segment. They are easier to remember, there are more free options, respectively, the choice of name is easier. As for the promotion of such sites, there are subtleties, but there are no global problems with them.
The only trouble you may encounter is that not all services provide the ability to registration domain name in Cyrillic. Tuthost works with domain zones in the national language, such as “.ukr”. When working with us, you also get protection of the domain from theft, DNS management, data hiding. Apply for registration by phone, online chat, or email.