Domains are a valuable digital asset that can bring benefits and improve the financial situation of their owners. With the right approach, you can not only sell it profitably, but also get back some of the money that was previously spent on its registration.
How to create a price for selling a domain
Domain name owners can set the price themselves. But if you do it haphazardly, it can take a long time to find a potential buyer. To exclude this outcome, you can make preliminary calculations.
The following factors affect the cost:
- The number of characters included in the domain name. Short names are easier to remember, so buying them requires more investment. Many people try to register such domain names on their own. If they can’t find a suitable option, they try to buy them.
- Assessing the solvency of potential buyers. Businesses and owners who plan to conduct business online are interested in acquiring beautiful and memorable domain names. They are willing to pay a considerable amount for them.
- Scope. There are several industries that require special domains – medicine, real estate, media, etc. д. If the domain is interesting and short, its cost can reach tens of thousands of dollars, or even more.
- Characteristic features. They include age, profile and link volume, and design features. Using a domain that has been in service for more than a year allows you to promote your web portal more actively.
- A type of domain zone. Each domain zone has a certain degree of popularity. For example, .com is the most expensive domain zone at the moment. Since there are a large number of domain zones available, it is very important to make the right choice. To do this, you can use a variety of information data and sources.
In order to set the price at least approximately, you can check the domain and study the information on specialized websites.
To increase your chances of success and sell your domain at a profit, you can sell it together with hosting. But this option is only suitable for users who do not plan to use the website in the future. The buyer can then order a domain transfer, having studied all the features beforehand.
Which domains are sold at a higher price
There are many factors that determine the price of domains. They include the number of characters, ease of memorization, ease of perception, etc. д. The most expensive domain names are those consisting of nouns that are distinguished by their brevity. Using such a domain, it will be possible to increase the rating of the portal directly.
Domains that use popular domain zones are much more expensive. Among the total number, .com stands out. Several such domain names were sold for $1 million or more.
How to sell a domain name safely
There are various ways to sell a domain name. But there are several options, each of which has its own characteristics. These include selling a domain on an exchange or through an auction.
Previously, a guarantor was often involved to control the entire sale procedure. The guarantor could be an individual or a legal entity. It took a lot of time to find an intermediary. In the process, we had to evaluate the information from the reviews and pay attention to the reputation. However, due to the increased incidence of fraud, this option was practically abandoned in favor of the exchange and auction. Nowadays, we periodically resell the domain, when the domain name is sold to partners.
How to sell domain names on the exchange
You can sell a domain name on various exchanges. To make the right decision and choose the exchange where you can sell your domain most profitably, you should study their features:
- Some exchanges operate on a similar principle to an auction. In this case, you need to post a classified ad. Potential buyers will place bids. As soon as the seller and the buyer are fully satisfied with the amount, the main details of the transaction are discussed.
- There are also exchanges where the seller can set a certain price immediately. In this case, you need to wait until you find someone who wants to make a purchase.
In both cases, the exchange acts as a guarantor.
The process of selling a domain name through an exchange is simple. After all, most of the stages are automated. The sale is carried out in several stages:
- A registered buyer must deposit a set amount into a special account. The funds are frozen for a certain period of time.
- As soon as the seller receives a notification that the money has been credited to the account, he needs to transfer the rights to the domain name to the buyer within a certain time.
- Then the buyer carries out the inspection. If he is satisfied with everything, he confirms the transaction and the seller’s account on the platform is credited with the set amount.
When selling a domain name through an exchange, you need to consider paying a commission.
How to sell a domain at a domain auction
There are many auctions on the web that are used to sell a domain name. Everyone can use their services. The process proceeds according to the following algorithm:
- Register and verify on the desired website, then add an ad for the sale of a domain name.
- Wait for buyers to place bids and choose the right option.
- If both parties are satisfied with the agreed price, the buyer needs to deposit the set amount into the account. This amount will be frozen until the domain name is transferred to the buyer.
- As soon as the buyer has made the appropriate checks, they must confirm the sale.
- After that, the funds are transferred to the seller’s account.
An auction is a profitable and convenient way to sell. After all, the seller can set the sale period and the permissible bid increment while preparing the ad.With a little time, you can sell a domain name on favorable terms. Those users who do not plan to use the site can sell the domain together with the hosting.