Choosing the wrong hosting service can lead to problems with website accessibility, performance and security. In this article, let’s look at the most typical mistakes that are made when choosing a hosting service and tell you how to avoid them.
Quality hosting can’t be free
One common mistake is choosing free hosting. It is important to realize that quality hosting services require investment in infrastructure, security, and support:
- Use of powerful servers, redundant systems, networking solutions and specialized equipment.
- Hiring highly skilled professionals available 24/7 to provide quality technical support.
- Investments in data protection technologies, continuous monitoring of cyber threats, and security updates.
- Ensuring high performance and speed of content access through server optimization.
- Utilizing backup, additional technologies and services.
Quality hosting requires a financial investment. Free hosting services cannot provide functionality on a similar level due to limited resources.
The main risks of free hosting for the client are low server stability, difficulty in promoting the site. Google and other search engines don’t treat free hosting badly. This is due to the fact that they often host fraudulent sites, dorways, and link dumps. Neighborhood with such resources negatively affects the reputation of any project.
Unwillingness to read the User Agreement
Failure to read the User Agreement may result in loss of future opportunities:
- Unforeseen limitations due to exceeding server resource utilization limits.
- Prohibiting certain content from being posted can bring a site to a standstill.
- Failure to meet renewal deadlines may result in loss of access to the website.
- In case of violation of the terms of cooperation, the provider may have the right to delete data from the server without warning.
Failure to comply with the terms of the agreement may have legal consequences. The hosting provider may sue or take other action in accordance with the law.
Buying the most expensive package
Buying the most expensive package is not always the best choice. Here are a few reasons why:
- overpaying for features that are not used;
- will take more time to administer due to the complexity of management;
- Dependence on a particular provider, making it difficult to move the site to another hosting in the future.
It is important to choose a service package that matches the actual needs of the website. For example, if you have a small blog with 300 visitors per day, there is no point in paying for a VPS. Consider switching to a more expensive plan when you see a steady increase in traffic and realize that you will soon exceed the limits of your current plan.
Choosing a hosting service without 24/7 support
Lack of 24/7 technical support can lead to long website outages in case of problems that can occur at any time of the day, weekend or holidays. Server failures, cyberattacks on the site, database problems require immediate intervention.
Round-the-clock technical support responds quickly to problems and will help to fix them, ensuring the security and availability of the site.
Choices based only on provider promises
You should not trust a hosting provider right away for the following reasons:
- hiding technical details that may affect performance and other capabilities;
- Inconsistency with specific features of the web project;
- tariff increases without notification;
- Reputation and testimonials can go against promises, it is important to find out the independent judgment of other customers.
To avoid mistakes and unpleasant surprises, it is important to do a thorough analysis when choosing a company. You will find numerous hosting provider ratings with reviews on the internet.
Ignoring the link between hosting choice and website promotion
The choice of hosting can affect the promotion and overall performance of a website:
- hosting performance directly affects the speed of resource loading: a fast site has advantages in search engine ranking;
- If the site is often inaccessible due to hosting problems, it affects its promotion and ranking in search engines;
- SSL certificate to ensure a secure connection between the browser and the server will have a positive impact on the reputation of the resource in search engines;
- It is better to choose hosting with servers in the region where the target audience is located to improve loading speed and SEO indicators.
Choosing a hosting service is very important for SEO. By activating the tariff from TutHost, you get a free SSL certificate, which will help in promoting your website.
Unwillingness to understand the conditions of the chosen tariff
Not knowing the terms of the tariff can lead to unexpected additional costs:
- overpayment for unused resources;
- exceeding the allocated limits of server resources may result in unavailability of the site;
- poor hosting performance can lead to slow page loads and a negative user experience;
- limiting traffic to may result in unexpected costs and loss of site availability;
- there may be hidden conditions you don’t even know about.
To avoid problems, it is important to scrutinize the terms and conditions of the chosen tariff and make sure it meets the needs of the web project.
Choosing an attractive young hosting provider
Young providers may provide attractive prices but have limited experience and infrastructure.
Young hosting providers are bolder in implementing modern technologies and innovations, introducing new features and services. To attract the customer, they offer lower prices and promotions.
Underperforming young companies can negatively impact a website for several reasons:
- lack of experience;
- a limited set of services;
- Lack of technical support;
- Higher likelihood of termination compared to experienced providers.
When choosing a young hosting provider, it is important to consider recommendations from other customers, do a thorough research on reputation and technical capabilities.
Basic recommendations for choosing a hosting service
How to choose a quality hosting service:
- Research the hosting provider’s reputation, reviews, get recommendations from partners;
- select the tariff that meets your needs;
- Pay attention to uptime and the ability to connect an SSL certificate;
- make sure technical support is available 24/7;
- study the tariff terms and conditions and the User Agreement;
- Think about the scalability of the site.
Choose a provider based on these requirements.
The choice of hosting provider can affect the reputation and success of a web project. Avoid common mistakes to ensure website stability, performance, and security.